Welcome to the homepage of the Faculty of Social Sciences of Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod!
The Department of Social Sciences was founded in 1996 on the basis of the Department of History, Social Sciences and Foreign Relations. Some lecturers and professors of the Department were awarded Nizhniy Novgorod Prize for the foundation of the Department and training professionals for Nizhniy Novgorod region.
The Department trains professionals in the following fields:
- Sociology (full-time form of training)
- Social work (full -time and distance forms)
- Management in social sphere (distance form)
- Psychology (full -time and distance forms)
- Philosophy (master course)
Today there are more than 800 students at the Department taught by leading experts and social sphere practitioners, professors and PhDs of Nizhniy Novgorod, Moscow , St. Petersburg and other Russian cities. On a regular basis, the Department invites visiting professors from American, German, Canadian, British and Austrian universities to give courses (e.g., under Civil Educational Project etc.). The Department participates in several international educational projects with foreign universities, such as Essen University ( Germany ), Warwick University ( Great Britain ), financed by German Educational Exchange Service, World Bank and Open Society Institute.
There is Center of Development of Basic Concepts and Contents of Humanitarian Education at the Department of Social Sciences. The Department has three laboratories: the Laboratory of New Information Technologies, the Laboratory of Sociological Research at the Applied Sociology Chair, the Training Laboratory of Psychology, two computer equipped classrooms with access to the Internet and language laboratory with facilities to develop students’ language skills.
- Department of General Sociology and Social Work
- Applied Sociology Department
- Economic Sociology Department
- Social Philosophy Department
- the Departmentof History, Methodology and Philosophy of Science
- Philosophic Anthropology Department
- the Departmentof Sociology of Culture
- the Departmentof Psychology and Social Psychology
- the Departmentof Psychology of Managment
- Center of Development of Basic Concepts and Contents of Humanitarian Education
- the Training Laboratory of Psychology
- Sociological Research Laboratory
- the Laboratory of New Informational Technologies
The Department practices a modern three-level system of training offering:
- bachelor’s degree (4 years of training)
- master’s degree in Sociology/Philosophy (6 years of training)
- postgraduate programms
Upon graduation students majored in sociology and social work can work as:
- sociologists and/or researchers in research institutions, enterprises, marketing and advertising agencies, public, government and non-government organizations, in mass media agencies and public opinion study services;
- system analysts in business and management and/or staff monitoring experts;
- lecturers on Sociology and social sciences in higher education institutions, colleges or schools;
- organizers of social work in social sphere, education, medicine, penitentiary establishments;
- officials of sociological service subdivisions of ministries, departments, enterprises and companies, central government and local government bodies.
Upon graduation students majored in psychology can work as:
- researchers in higher education institutions (fundamental and applied aspects, problems of human behavior);
- lecturers on psychological disciplines in higher education institutions, colleges or schools;
- specialists and/or consultants of problem solution in marketing, management, staff management and psychological counseling services.
Students are engaged in practical work in different social and government institutions and analytic centers of Nizhniy Novgorod.
There are three year Post-Graduate Courses in Sociology and Philosophy at the Department of Social Sciences. One can also receive a PhD in Sociology at the Department.
Candidate and doctoral theses can be defended at the Department.
To get more information on the Department you may contact us by:
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod,
the Department of Social Sciences